Monday, September 29, 2008

Kyle Comes Calling

Hurricane Kyle has come and gone. The most damage it did in our neighbourhood was to knock over one of the porta-potties that the snowmobile racing people left in the field down the road. Ewwww...

I guess there were some trees down and some minor flooding along the southern coast of the province, and a bunch of people are without power, but Kyle mostly behaved himself.


In other news, sighs of relief will be heard throughout the country tomorrow when the telemarketing Do-Not-Call List takes effect. Now this is something I can really get behind - I mean, who actually WANTS telemarketers to call? Well, I guess there's my friend Martin, who seems to have a talent for making friends with telemarketers. Once he answered the phone in my house and ended up with the personal home address of a girl in the Bahamas. I am taking creative license because this conversation took place a few years ago, but it went thusly:

TELEMARKETER: Good afternoon sir, I'd like to tell you about my product that blah blah blah....

MARTIN (interrupting): What's your name?

T: My name is Amy. Our product is something you can't live without because blah blah blah...

M: Where are you from?

(telemarketer keeps talking, ignores question, Martin repeats it.)

T: ...uh, Bahamas. Our product-

M: What's the weather like there right now? It's sunny here.

T: It's very nice here today sir.

M: I've never been there. Do you guys get winter?

That was it. She didn't stand a chance. They chatted for a while about this and that, and Martin asked her for her address so he could send her a postcard. I don't think he ever ended up writing to her, but I'd like to think that he brightened her day. I admire his utter enjoyment of other human beings - I never have the patience to try and crack the shell like I've seen him do with strangers.

ANYWAY. Do-Not-Call list for Canada. Go to their website or call 1-866-580-3625 to sign up starting September 30.

1 comment:

Angela said...

... and it's so popular, the site is down :(