Thursday, December 10, 2009

Small Dog People Rant


Although she has Swine Flu, Chani has scraped together the energy to whine about the length of time between posts around here.

It's about quality, not quantity.

But, to make her happy, here is a post. While we're at it, congratulations Chani and Captain D. on their new dog, the Earl of Doozer:


Alrighty. On the weekend, Nay and I attended a party for the small dog rescue group we recently started volunteering for. Now, all dogs deserve good homes, regardless of size, but I really get frustrated with the small dog rescue groups I've encountered so far. It's like they're immune to actual knowledge about dogs, to the point that someone on a mailing list recently pointed out that Chihuahuas that live in Canada should not be taken outside AT ALL during the winter because their lungs are too small. Nobody on the mailing list refuted this claim. I didn't either, I admit it, but it's because I try not to communicate with these people beyond saying whatever needs to be said to foster the dogs.

So my thought, when I read about this cold weather claim, was 'Uhh, what?' Our Oliver, who is the same size as - but has less fur than - the average Chihuaua, went to the Yukon and back with us in an unheated travel trailer, and he survived. He thrived, even. He also goes outside multiple times, every single day, even in the winter. We are clearly neglectful parents.


This begs the question: where do the small dogs, er, use the bathroom? Well, if they're not doing it outside, it's safe to say that they're doing it inside. I'll just let you think about that.


So.

We went to the small dog party, where there was a towel by the door for the dogs to do their business on. Other than that, it was actually not too bad. By some fortunate alignment of the planets, the Nova Scotia people who participate in this rescue group seem to have brains for the most part. (The Ontario people, one of whom made the infamous Chihuahua lung claim, make me mad. Too bad they make ALL of the decisions regarding dogs in foster homes.)


We brought our foster dog Remi, and left him there to be handed off to his new owners, who are officially adopting him within the next few days.

Nay and I sat down and watched all 14 dogs run maniacally around the house and had pretty pleasant conversations with the other people who attended. It was festive, so that was fun.


Disclaimer: I do own small dogs. I expect them to behave themselves, and I don't pretend that they are human infants. They are small, yes, but that does not mean that they can't eat the same food other dogs eat, and go on walks like other dogs. Even in the winter.

I don't know how much longer I can bear to try to cooperate with these small dog groups. These people, aside from their interesting philosophy on small dogs versus real dogs, don't seem to operate with the same basic rules that other dog rescue groups use. Rules that were designed to keep the dog's welfare in the forefront. It's a lot of "industry talk", so I won't get into it, but suffice it to say I'm a bit frustrated. I'll try to hang on though, simply because it makes for good reading.

4 comments:

Taras said...

Yeah I know what you mean. I have this one friend, she got herself a small dog (who does she think she is? Paris? A mexican?). She dresses the dog and lately has been claiming that she's the dog's mother.

Canadian Dreamers said...

Their lungs are too small.....BAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

That's just an excuse not to walk the dog outside, and to make it seem OK that for half the year the small (likely not well trained) dog can pee and poo all over your house.

I could never work with those people.

Unknown said...

Oh dear... that's a good one. I wonder how other small mammals survive the deadly Canadian winters. :S

chani said...

thanks julie for the morning read...made my coffee that much more enjoyable. my lungs are quite petite and i do find it a struggle to survive these harsh winters. i pee inside and try not to get too much exercie and who knows how long i've increased my life expectancy by!!!