Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mark's Hitting the Road!

Much to his surprise, Mark will be on his way to Philadelphia tomorrow.

It's a long, convoluted story. I will tell you the parts that I know.

There was this lady from Philadelphia, I don't know her name. She was in Cape Breton helping out a sick relative. She had her two dogs with her. She took very ill (I know no details) and had to be flown back to the U.S. and admitted to a hospital. I think she is still in the hospital. Her dogs are still in Canada though!

Side note - Cape Breton is in the middle of nowhere. No, actually, it can be more accurately stated that Cape Breton is on the very edge of the middle of nowhere. If you drive to the eastern edge of this country, and then drive across a long bridge to a seemingly uninhabited land mass that can be seen off in the distance, you end up in Prince Edward Island Cape Breton (which is actually even further off the beaten track than P.E.I.). Then, just keep driving for another couple of hours. That's where the woman's dogs are, in a boarding kennel.

The dogs can't be flown this time of year, and I don't think there's anybody that the woman could even ask to buy dog crates, get the dogs to the airport, et cetera. My friends and I all got an email about this sad situation forwarded from our rescue group. I read it and closed it, thinking "too bad; nothing I can do". Our friend Jay is obviously much more kind-hearted than I am, because he promptly decided that he would drive to Cape Breton (which is off the edge of the middle of nowhere), get the dogs, and then drive to Pennsylvania with them for a magical Christmas reunion with their sick mama.

Mark is going to be his co-pilot.

Those two are gonna have A TONNE OF FUNNE together. All I can say is, they'd better not get stopped by bad weather, because there are only so many days in a row that I feel like going to work (yes, I am working this week) and then coming home alone to take care of our three dogs, six cats, and the foster dog, who has to be walked separately from our own dogs because she has Whipworm and Hookworm.

What's that about a foster dog? I forgot to tell you guys - the little fluffy puppy is adopted, and a beautiful black dog is sitting in quarantine in my mudroom. She's VERY sweet, and her name is M.J.


She is fabulous and I expect her to get adopted very quickly once the holidays are over.

Wish the boys luck on their trip.

No comments: