Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Of Pirates and Dogs

I've been obsessing a bit about pirates lately.


This is not a pirate ship - this one obeys the law - but it was the best one I've happened across lately.

I could be a pirate.

I like rum.

I like parrots.

It's not gonna happen though, so let's move on.

We went to the other end of the province this past weekend to visit my parents, and in addition to seeing the ship that reminded me of a pirate ship, we also saw some bag pipes.


That was all well and good. We had a nice time with my parents - there was wine and a bonfire and all that - and then we came home again.

I haven't given you an update about my job at the kennel in a long while. Would you like to know how it's going? Well... let's put it this way:

- Have you ever tried to hold an angry cat still while someone else tried to shave it?

- Do you know what the phrase "expressing the anal glands" means?

- Ever been punched in the face by an Irish Wolfhound, or bitten by a Shih Tzu?

All these things make my job what it is, and my job is effing awesome. It beats working in some boring corporate office ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Ha!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Men in skirts = hott.

- Have you ever tried to hold an angry cat still while someone else tried to shave it?

I was the shaver in this situation.

- Do you know what the phrase "expressing the anal glands" means?

Yeah, when you stick your finger up the dog's butt and squeeze the little grape thing and all this nasty squishy shit squirts out. David's done it. He had a beagle.

- Ever been punched in the face by an Irish Wolfhound, or bitten by a Shih Tzu?

No. You must love your job.

Angela said...

LOL... I've shaved my cat a couple times, and I was both the shaver AND the holder!

Haven't had to express anal glands yet.

Haven't been punched in the face by a dog, and the only thing that has bitten me (and wasn't a youngun) is... my cat! Don't laugh, four deep puncture wounds in my forearm. 6 hours later I was at the emergency room at the hospital because I had angry red streaks from my hand to my elbow. To be fair to my poor cat, she was on a leash, and a strange dog ran up to her...

I was bonked in the chin by my Belgian Shepherd numerous times... I'm surprised I still have all my teeth. Her skull was made of lead.

Your job sounds awesome. You get to be mauled by animals all day :P

Unknown said...

I have tried to hold an angry cat still while someone is trying to shave it. Really exhilarating!

I do know what the expressing the anal glands is all about and am happy to pay the vet to do it to my dogs.

I have never been punched in the face by an irish Wolfhound but would welcome the opportunity. I have been punched in the face by an American Bulldog X Pitbull named Lily though and that HURT! I have also never been bit by a ShihTzu but have been bitten by a mini schnauzer, and a cockapoo.

I agree with you. I wouldn't trade that job for anything! So much fun....never a boring day!