Thursday, June 04, 2009

Dogs, Ninjas, Pecans, Magic

Yes yes, another new week, another new dog.


We named this one Buttercup. I think she has been treated very harshly in her life, and I don't say that lightly. I've encountered horribly abused dogs before and I have to say, most of them don't give much of an indication of an abusive past. For example, we had a dog come into the SPCA once who had been beaten so badly that her leg had to be amputated. She was as happy as a clam in the shelter, and loved to be around people. You would never know anything had been amiss - she was just a contented friendly dog.

Then I would see dogs who tried to bite when they were handled, and they had the opposite sort of past than what you'd think: they were loved too much. They had been spoiled and coddled and never knew a moment of discipline in their life, and had learned that they only had to snarl to get their own way all the time.

So Buttercup is very timid and hand-shy. At the same time, she genuinely likes people. Despite her own fear, she slinks meekly toward people with the hope of being cuddled. She is quiet and low-key, and walks perfectly on her leash without pulling. I think she'll be pretty easy to adopt out.


So we were walking downtown today with our own two dogs (Buttercup is in quarantine right now) and we saw a ninja run down the road and into an alley. An honest-to-gosh ninja, running around with a black hood and mask and everything. It was pretty cool.

We're planning on going into The City this weekend to buy things we can't get around here. I need new work clothes, we have to go to a decent-sized hardware store, and we must socialize with Kristie the city-mouse of course.

Fun things always happen when you socialize with that family. We socialized with her sister Tanya last weekend, and ended up eating home-made sushi and being given a truck-load full of furniture, small appliances, and plants that they claimed they didn't need and had no room for. Oh yeah, and Tanya gave us a jar of AMAZING pecans that had been candied by a friend of hers, and I don't know what that person did to them, but they were pure magic. I would have taken a picture, but like I said they were magic, and they all seemed to disappear in a very short period of time. This is where they were:


If you find any more, please let me know.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The doggie looks so sweet though, I know she'll end up being all right. God I hate people.

Fucking ninja? I'd of ran after it.

Unknown said...

Buttercup looks like a doll. I want to give her sweet little kisses on the top of her head and tell her it only gets better from here. Do that for me okay?!

And I'm with Jessie on the ninja thing. I would have ran after it too!

Angela said...

I third that Buttercup is sweet and adorable looking :) I hope she gets adopted by someone who will continue to work to show her that hands (and by extension, people) are sources of good things.

Angela said...

Oh, and on a completely different note, we are wondering if you are happy with your Flor. How is it holding up? Michael in particular wants to know how well it holds together with the FlorDots. ;)

Thanks!

Gramma Lannon said...

What are you smokin'?! A Ninja? and you just let him get away without even trying to investigate?
Oh, Buttercup looks like a doll. She'll likely be gone by the time we come to visit.

Julie said...

Okay.

Guys.

It was a NINJA. We would NOT have caught her if we'd run after her. In fact, I didn't say whether we did or not, so how do you know I didn't try?!!

Julie