Monday, September 07, 2009

Holes and Posts

A long weekend!

And we thought we'd actually relax or something. HA HA, no.


We woke up and had a pleasant morning on Saturday, taking our time to do a few small chores and errands. One of Mark's chores was to call Willie the Farmer and try to set up a time to get him out to our house to dig holes for a fence. Willie the Farmer has an excavator and had mentioned that he'd be happy to come out and give us a hand some time.

Getting contractors out to do work is a tricky thing though. We've been waiting on our other contractor for months now to get new siding put on the house. We call and pester sometimes, but no luck yet.

So Mark called Willie the Farmer about digging the holes for our fence, and Willie said "how about right now?"

Aaaahh!

We rushed to the hardware store to buy fence posts, sonnet tubes, and concrete. As soon as we'd agreed on what to get, I left Mark to load the truck and started to walk home in case Willie the Farmer beat us there. Good thing - as soon as I left the hardware store, Willie drove by. I ran home (it's only like three blocks) and chit-chatted with Willie while he unloaded his excavator from his trailor. That took all of two minutes, then he looked at me and asked me what I wanted him to do.

I panicked.

Mark was nowhere to be seen, and I really didn't want to direct the guy to start digging holes in the ground all by my lonesome. I sucked it up though, pointed to the ground, and said "start there".

He did. Thankfully, our friends Chani and Captain D. showed up for moral support shortly after the digging started. Fifteen minutes later, Mark arrived with a big truckload of supplies, and I ran away so that he'd have to direct the digging of the holes.


Nay and Jay eventually came over too, and it turned into an impromptu Labour Party (on Labour Day weekend, no less) and all the guys got going on sinking the corner posts, which needed to be cemented in. Chani and I got started on dinner for everyone. Okay, Chani actually made food in my kitchen and I helped by buying groceries and cleaning things up. We all had a pretty good time - Willie the Farmer dug 33 holes, the guys got 5 posts cemented in, and everyone had a great dinner/party afterward.


Mark and I have gotten 16 more posts in the ground in the past two days. There are 12 to go, then a bunch of T-posts in the treed area where we aren't putting wood posts, then actual fencing. Sounds like a lot, but we already did the hardest part. ACTUALLY STARTING.

In other news, Minerva the kitten is finally putting weight on. She'll be three weeks old tomorrow, and although she's still very small for her age, she's doing great.

1 comment:

Linus said...

yay! The new fence is coming! :) The dogs will be SO happy, and so will you on cold winter nights you can just let them out the door to pee! No more frigid walks before bed!